Monday, January 3, 2011

Belief - Tricky Word

belief: any cognitive content held as true wordnetweb.princeton.edu



A man posted a photo to a geology group on Flickr showing a large rock with pits and canals in it, asking whether the viewers thought the pits were man-made or natural. One respondent said he could not tell. I said i thought it was natural and offered several links to other natural pools on rocks as evidence. A day or two later my post and the post of the other reviewer had been erased and his caption now reads, "Ceremonial Grinding Pots" and he notes below, 'It may be a watering hole, ground out by the Miwok or the Costanoan people of the central California coast near San Francisco. I believe these pots/pockets are man made, not naturally occuring."

So, he has a belief that they are man made. But why did he erase the responses to his question? Could he not believe they are man made and yet allow other opinions to remain? Apparently not. Ask yourself why he could not.

3 comments:

  1. It was over 37 months ago that I first posted this image. I had only one comment made about this particular image. Listed below is my response to the comment.

    FunnyFence (37 months ago | edit | delete)

    It may be a watering hole, ground out by the Miwok or the Costanoan people of the central California coast near San Francisco. I believe these pots/pockets are man made, not naturally occuring. And, yes, I have seen Ravens and Gulls taking water from them.

    I have also posted a series of images of the same formation, taken on the same day. The question I posted in the discussion thread is;Is this a natural formation caused by weathering of the granodiorite?
    Along with the images I stated;This rock formation is located in the california's central coastal mountains within 2 or 3 miles of the ocean just over 1200 ft. in elevation. I think they are made man by the coastal inhabitants native americans. They look ceremonial and are located on a prominate lookout feature near a passage on the mountain ridge, a 270 degree vista point. The water is there naturally from the coastal fog and rain. Thanks (Originally posted at 4:23PM, 21 December 2010 PST)
    Also, 3 weeks ago I posted a comment to add;Native Americans lived in the valleys around these coastal mountains. They had to travel over the mountain if they wanted to stay along the coast. I have found a pestal grinding stone in a creek bed well below this feature, at least a 3 mile walking/hiking distance down a steep deer/animal trail. It's a longer hike if you go down a gravel service road that leads to the top of the mountain near this formation.

    So what is Point? I am baffled! Do you have any idea what or whom may have caused or made this formation? I am still looking for answer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. www.flickriver.com/photos/almcorona/popular-interesting/

    ReplyDelete